Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3rd 1976: massacre in Vitoria-Gasteiz

35 years now. I was just 8 back then and I do not remember anything myself. But I know from what I have been told, from what I have read here and there: five workers were massacred in the city of Vitoria-Gasteiz, when they were enclosed in a church demanding their right to strike and the end of the dictatorship.

The then Minster of Interior, Manuel Fraga, who later founded the conservative Partido Popular, launched his infamous war cry: la calle es mía (the streets are mine!)

This terrorist Sr. Fraga is still legal in Spain. Nobody has judged him, he has not known a single minute of prison nor a single instance of interrogation for the massacre. The opposite is true: he was favored by a large sector of reactionary or plainly dumb Spaniards and Galicians to represent them. He was eventually chosen as President of Galicia, which he ruled with iron fist in the name of Spain for more than a decade.

Justice has not been done nor is likely to be ever done on this massacre. Don't tell me about violence or terrorism until these criminals pay for what they did and the victims are compensated, recognized and honored as the freedom fighters they were. Don't tell me nonsense while Franco's men are still at large, as are the organizers of the death squads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, be reasonably respectful when making comments. I do not tolerate in particular sexism, racism nor homophobia. The author reserves the right to delete any abusive comment.

Comment moderation before publishing is... ON